Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's day

I have been reflecting on what it means to be a mother.  During a recent conversation, I was made aware of my many faults.  I realize, in spite of these imperfections, that I have an amazing little boy.  Being a mom is harder today than ever before.  I believe that every mother wants to raise a child that will thrive in this world.  In order to make that happen, I have made up my mind to teach my son to be polite when others are not.

Chidren need to figure out that the world does not owe them.  The only way to get anything out of this world is to work hard for it.  Too many people think that they are intitled to something they have not earned.

  Every action has a consequence.  Sometimes these consequences are good and sometimes they aren't.  Through out life, seemingly simple choices can have lasting effects.  I see it all the time.  People no longer look both ways when they cross a street. As a result they can get hurt.   People text while they drive.  A split second when attention isn't where it should be and life can be changed.  

This is one that happened right in front of me many years ago.  My mom's best friend was on her way to pick her kids up from a youth activity at church.  Because a young man choose to drive under the influence, she never made it.  She was killed on impact.  That young man had no idea when he got into his car that night his actions would cost two children their mom.

Life is never fair.  It is up to us to teach by example.  Take what we have been given and make the best of it.  Happy Mother's day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment